Thursday, January 1, 2009

movie Hong Gil Dong

I just finished a Korean Drama, Hong Gil Dong, this morning.
It means... yes... I spent my new year watching this Korean series. hehehehe Well, I did have a small party with my friends, open a bottle of wine, took some pictures, then... I went back to my fantasy world.

This morning, my mind run back to the movie, to the story....
My feeling is still the same as this morning.. my heart is crying, how could there be a sad story such as this? This is a story, and like other stories, I hope that this one will end happily, I've been thinking about what kind of happy ending the story will have, but it turns out to be not that happy. It made me shed tears...

In this story, the character that caught my attention is the legitimate prince. He is the son of the previous queen, and the second prince of the nation. After his father death, he received a royal sword from his father with the inscription that will make him the next king. But then, his older brother, the first prince set fire in his palace, killing his mother, and made him run away setting a fake death of him behind. He has been a dead person in the eye of the world.

20 years later, he has gathered a lot of money and power secretly with the mask of a merchant. He grew to be a cold man that only has one goal, to fulfill his destiny and become king. Accidentally, he met a dimwitted, reckless girl that eventually could open his heart and made him more human, he learned what is it mean to cherish and to protect something. With the hero of the story, he found the reason why he should be king, to protect his people, give them better live.

The present king, his older brother, has become insane. He has a deep guilty feeling inside, that he had kill his own brother in order to ascend the throne, he keeps having delusion of ghosts that came to blame him. He became a crazy king that never care about his people, and so the the people are suffering.

After he succeeded to ascend the throne, his older brother told him a secret that just has been revealed, the royal sword with the inscription on it is fake, the real one, doesn't have anything written on it. The one who fake the sword is his own mother, he never was the real king. All that he had been believed was a lie, he lost his trust, his reason.

Though eventually, he gain back his reason to become king, to cherish and protect his people, he faced a new challenge, the hero, hong gil dong is a bastard, therefore, a slave, a criminal, but he was his loyal friend, a hero for the people. He tried to give him official title, but the nobles and other government officials keep complaining. Then, a rumor of the hope of the people to make the hero become King, the law stated him as traitor, and has to be executed. In order to become a real king that could control his ministers and scholars, he should kill gil dong. His fiancee, the reckless girl that opened his heart, has been in love with gil dong for a long time and decided to go to Gil Dong's side. Knowing to take her by force will only kill her innerself, but to let her go, means that she would be killed too, and that will kill his innerself.

In the end, he let her go...
Having silenced all of the complaints from the ministers, he ruled as the greatest king in the history.

Such a sad story, a sad ending for him, and also for the hero of the movie...


If I was in his position...
knowing that everything that I believed was a lie... honestly, I wouldn't know what to do, I would be too confuse to do anything, I might run away, I might be pretending that I never know the truth..
Though I hope for a happy ending...
Logically, it won't be easy to change something that already like blood to the society at that time, the different of royalties and slaves. Although he is the king, the king alone couldn't change anything. He need support from his ministers, his subordinates, his people. This kind of plot, is something that most likely to happen in the real world.
Sad.. isn't it... the world that we lives in... is not a world of a happy ending.

There's a song that also very sad... just hearing it could make me sad, though I don't know the meaning of the words, but then I found out the meaning of the words. It is a sad song.

No comments: