Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Eyjafjallajokull"



I was reading CNN news about Qantas' Engine Failure that happen today (another excuse just to delay my report..), and I came across this..

-----

The incident happened in the same region as Indonesian volcano Mount Merapi, which is now active. Could this have been a factor?

Investigators will look at all possibilities. Earlier this year, no-fly zones were imposed across Europe due to ash clouds from Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull. It was feared that dust and ash from the volcano might damage airplane engines.

-----


I was like... "What??? How do you pronounce that thing????". I believe you would see straight away which word that I mean by it, or of course it's in the title of this blog entry anyway.
and so, my journey of research takes course (far away from the research that I should be doing now of course :D)..

It turns out that.. I'm not alone. It is an unspeakable word, there are so many people, who try to pronounce it, and FAIL... The greatest part is to actually listen to the news reporters and how much chaos it brings to the audio-visual news industry!! Everyone was like "How do we pronounce it??" "What's the right pronunciation?"


Of course it's a super challenge for poor news reporter/reader around the globe. Some were trying hard to "try" to pronounce it, some were AVOIDING it, and some, being creative, gave it a nickname. Yup a nickname.
This tragedy had become a global news reporters comedy. Especially for the Icelanders, the way these people try to pronounce the name of the mountain was hilarious. You could find various videos in YouTube of official airing from world-known NEWS TV channel on "how to pronounce it correctly guide".. I mean.. how often could you see these things on TV?? :D

Here is some of the reporters refer for "the" volcano / nicknames:
"The Unspeakable Volcano"
"Icelandic Volcano"
"Icelandic Volcano Tongue Twister"
"Bob"
"E15"
"Volcano"



Yes.. I know that this is too late already that I just knew about this name... but I do know when the volcano erupts, but I'm not really exposed to any world news here in Switzerland to be honest, and when I read the reports about this volcano eruptions, it was only stated as "Iceland's Volcano".... they never said the name!!!!! (which I could understand why...), and so.. I just knew about it..


No comments: